For some, food is a luxury in the trash. The food is a right but also a duty that everyone can access it. From # HomelessEntrepreneur we want to let you know the reality about food waste and I encourage you to act to reduce it. Small details make big differences. According to the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Food and Environment ( MAPAMA ) Spanish households discard 25.5 million kg of food each week ( see report ). 8 out of 10 families throw food in the trash
Do not consider them in good condition (fruits, vegetables and fresh bread are the most discarded).In all the processes of the food chain there is waste , in the production, during the treatment of the food, in the distribution and in the consumption. However, it is households that waste the most and throw food away. The reduction of food waste would be an important preliminary step to combat hunger and improve the level of nutrition of the most disadvantaged populations.Currently there are more people aware of food waste and as Nutritionist Dietitian I would like to help you take initiative and act to reduce food waste.
What can you do to reduce food waste?
- Plan the purchase and menus each week. Prepare a weekly menu and prepare the shopping list based on it. This way you will not buy food that does not fit the needs of your home.
- Look closely at the expiration date.
- Eat seasonal foods and buy "ugly fruit". That the fruit is "ugly" does not mean that it is bad.
- Adjust the portions. Serve what you are going to eat and, if you see fit, ask for smaller portions in the restaurants. Think of the favor you will do to your pocket.
- Keep the food well. It seems obvious, but a lot of food is wasted by poor preservation.
Written by the nutritionist Génesis Caliba Note from the Entrepreneurs Without Roof Association . You can make a donation to help us create more awareness about nutrition in order to improve the lives of homeless people who are struggling to get ahead through the bank account of the Entrepreneurs Without a Roof Association: IBAN No ES78 0081-1699-53 -0001058408